Friday, September 12, 2014

The Kamikaze House Guests

The kids are back in school and fall is just around the corner.  The tomatoes are ripe, the zucchini is huge, and the last bit of heat has spread throughout the county.  It is a wonderful time of the year and I would love to spend as much time as I can outside.  That is until I become the buffet entrée to all of the mosquitoes, ants, flies, etc. I am not squeamish about the bugs, I am just sick of getting dive bombed by every little insect, every single time I step one foot outside of my house.  I don’t know about you, but I seem to attract every insect around and they seem to follow me everywhere, including into my house.  What I need is a way to bug-proof my home.

There are many ways that you can keep those nasty critters at bay, and with a little preplanning and hard work, you will be able to make your home a bug free zone.  First and foremost, you need to seal you your doors and windows.  Weather-stripping, door-seal kits, and a threshold will go a long way to keeping the little buggers out.  Making sure your screens are free of holes and tears also helps.  Keeping your yard well maintained, and eliminating areas where water can collect in pools, helps to minimize the mosquito population so the buffet will move onto to next house.  Also big piles of leaves or cut grass are a natural breeding ground for any number of insects, so removing the debris will also cut down any possible infestations.  Sealing any cracks on the outside of your home or anywhere wires or pipes enter your home, helps to close many an entry point for numerous bugs.  One of the best ways to get rid of unwanted pests is to promote natural predators, such as birds and bats.  Building bird or bat houses are great DIY projects, and they help to maintain insect population.  Sure, I have Truly Nolan on my speed dial, but by taking a few of these preventative steps, I don’t always have to call them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment