Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do

           
        The ring was bought, the question asked, and the invitations went out.  Many years ago, when I got married, my spouse and I did what most couples did and registered for gifts at the local department store.  And while, we did receive a few of the items from our list, what we mostly got were checks and cash.  While I appreciated the beautifully wrapped boxes, the small white envelopes really helped us more.  We were just starting out and even though between us, we had many of the basic essentials for the home, like a microwave, sheets and towels.  What we really needed more were the big-ticket items like furniture and paint for the walls.  A toaster's great, but you can’t sit on it.  Today’s brides and grooms have much more options than we did when it comes to registries, and it can really help them in the home front and not just in the home section of the department store. 
 


                      This day and age, 75% of couples that are getting married live together already.  This means they already have the household items that we would have registered for back in the day.   The savvy couples of today forego the traditional registry and now have several alternative choices.   If a couple is need of a home they can choose to register for funds for a down payment.  For those that already own a home, they can register for funds for a home improvement project, like a new roof, or room renovation.  Whatever the bride and groom need, there is a registry out there that will meet their needs.  For us, maybe a vow renewal and a second honeymoon registry.  Just saying. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment