Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Taking a Tax Holiday for Back to School

When I was young, summers seemed longer and more care free.  We got out of school at the beginning of June and went back to school right after Labor Day.  These days the summers don’t seem as long and they are always so jammed packed with activities and things to do, that, in the blink of an eye, it is over.  These days as I prepare for my son to return to school, (the first week of August, mind you) I of course need to make the dreaded trip to the store to shop for all the supplies and clothing he will need to start the school year.  What I find interesting this year is that, in 16 states, back to school shopping is now considered a holiday, from sales tax that is.  Living in a state that is not celebrating this wondrous holiday, I am having a hard time getting into the spirit of it.  Why do these few states get the luxury while the rest of us have to suffer the whole shopping experience with our children, as well as have to pay the sales tax on top of it.  Don’t get me wrong, I love my son, but there are only so many hours in a day and only so many tantrums, eye rolls, “whatever’s”, and “I don’t care’s” a person can take.  I think the Back to School Tax Holiday should be a national holiday that we, as parents, should have the privilege, nay right, to celebrate every year.  Now, who in Congress do I have to contact to get this rolling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment