Monday, July 14, 2014

Quality not Quantity

When I was in college, many years ago, I would often procrastinate on my written assignments because I was often overwhelmed.  Always the perfectionist, I would hem and haw over every line until it was just right.   It wasn’t until my junior year, when I had a professor who made me look at things in a different way.  On the first day, she told us that in her class, an assignment is never done, it is just due.  In other words, do the best you can in the amount of time you have, and you can always improve upon it later.  She also said to not say things in 10 sentences when you can get your point across in a few really well written sentences with key words and phrases.  Her advice really hit home and I have kind of adopted it in many other aspects of my life from cooking dinner every night, party planning, job assignments, laundry, and even home improvement projects. 

            Whether you are you are roasting a chicken or redecorating a living room, the same rules apply to both and you don’t need to stress.  Set a due date (or time) and do the most you can in that allotted time.  Pick a few key accent pieces that make a statement to freshen up a room rather than holding up the whole project because you can’t find the exact piece of artwork to go over the mantle.  If you don’t have time to paint a whole room, just do an accent wall.  You are looking for quality not quantity.  There is nothing stopping you from going back and changing and improving upon it at a later date.  All you need to remember is nothing in life is ever done, it’s just due.  

No comments:

Post a Comment